Monday, September 2, 2013

What a sad, sad state of affairs. I'm making myself obsolete. 177days and counting.

I am guilty.  I can't imagine a school, a town or a city without a library.  I can't imagine walking to my bookcase grabbing a book I bought a year ago and taking it with me to the doctor's office, an airport or a car repair shop.  But, I'm guilty.  I still buy books.  Unless you have opened a shipment of brand new books you can only guess the smell; but it's wonderful.  There is nothing like the touch, the feel, the smell or the artwork of a brand new book.  I'm guilty.  The last time I went into a library was to check-out audio books for my car to drive to El Paso.  Most people can do it in 7-8 hours.  I take 9-10.  It is the ugliest, driest, flatest, nastiest ride in Texas.  As long as I can evolve into 3-4 murders the ride is not painful.  All weekend I spent ripping stitches for Susan.  Didn't like the color.  And I listened to talking books on my computer.  Yep! checked-out from my library.  The library has just upgraded and now have two companies you can check-out from.  And, I did it.  I down-loaded a quilt book.  Guilty as sin!!!  We Americans are so spoiled and so lucky.  In America we grow-up reading for enjoyment.  When I taught overseas libraries were for study.  Books were the price of shoes.  Not for us.  A book still costs the same as a burger and fries.  We were raised with books.  The rule at our Book Mobile was you could have as many books as you could carry up or down the stairs.  What an idea!  A mobile library, A school library for entertainment.  Now I know why I am a 1/2 time librarian and 1/2 time math teacher.  I'm  almost obsolete.  What a sad sad state of affairs if we lose our libraries and librarians.   Without books our children will only know what their 3rd grade teacher taught them.  Without books our children will only have the imagination of what they learn at home or at school.  If you were taught about Lincoln and not Jefferson or Washington you will never know these things.  You will not be looking at books to spark your interest.  You will only look at where google takes you.  I am guilty too.  I too will become totally obsolete like vhs video.  177 days to retirement.
                
the quilt above shows a life with no worries, no cares. no taxes, no work, no dishes, no mopping, no cat boxes to clean.  "Chipmunk Spring".

No comments:

Post a Comment