Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Education is so darn important

I can't imagine life not able to read and never worrying about the law or signing contracts.  I tutor an older gentleman.  He can't read.  I looked up my ancestors in the 1870's ish:  boys went to school for 6 hours, girls went 2.  I wonder if my grandparents could read and write.  They all owned businesses.  My grandmother came over at age 12, started as a seamstress and by age 16 was a machinist and living alone. Married at 17. How difficult it must have been coming to America and not speaking English.  When I lived overseas I never had to worry.  American Culture was so dominate.  I would learn a few verbs.  Memorize how to find my way home:  Learn in host language"  American teacher @ American School" and all was real.  The host country had enough American English/movie English that I never felt totally lost.  Japan was the hardest, but my friend wrote her address down in both English and Japanese.  The third time, I was brave enough to take train from airport through Tokyo alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment