Tuesday, August 20, 2013

School went fast today......185 days to go.

Finished a quilt-let last night.  I can't wait to make more.  I finally learned the art of making points.  I can't believe its a block that has been around for over 200 years.  It's called a New York Beauty.
Today I feel great and have energy, but, couldn't shake melt downs all afternoon. These hormone suppressants make you crazy and give you hot sweats.Sweat just runs down your face, back and arms.  Now I know why they call us: "survivors".  First you get sliced and diced:  not once but twice.  Then the techs spend months poisoning you.  Once you start to recover you get burned and burned and burned.  Getting old is not for the faint-hearted.   Ladies, make sure you get those mammograms. 
 I went to visit the Assistant Director of Personnel.  A three year salary freeze and a mystical salary schedule. I saw in b&w no raise year after year.  Oh my heart hurts...  Today, I learned the magic formula. Wow! We get a 3.5% raise this year.  It's a nice chunk of change but every Texas state employee gets a 3.5% raise across the board.  I heard it on the news in Dallas last month when it was announced.  Our board voted on it today. ummmm.   Today, I sat at my desk for maybe 20 minutes.  I'm exhausted.  Librarians are always moving.  Where is that book I'm supposed to be readin?  I checked out equipment, helped new teachers get accounts, worked w/ co-teacher ate a great big, "huge" Mexican lunch. My co-teacher went to punishment for me.  I love that guy.  2 hours after school to learn another way to teach math.  If they would ask us old folks we could save the district $1000s and gotten a bigger raise.  Children years behind grade level in math need basic division, multiplication and fractions.  That's it.  Once that is learned, memorized and drilled into those pointy little heads:  they can keep up with the new skills.  But, alas, they never ask us.
My first New York Beauty Wall Hanging:  And now to start one more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment