Sunday, August 18, 2013

My last free Sunday

Sunday morning or should I say Sunday late morning: my last free day before school starts. It's almost noon and I just got out of my jammies. I could have spent the morning quilting. I should have spent the morning quilting but I can't get Monday off my mind. How did teaching become so stressful? It would be so easy to solve the problems at school but the powers that be won't ask us. First of all safety. We don't feel safe anymore in our classrooms. We convince our children that school is safe and we will protect them. We convince our students that they have a job to do. And our job is to get you ready for the next year. Secondary schools including middle schools now have full time policemen in schools. I feel safe when they are there but I fear the clock is ticking. Every child is eager to learn those first few days. Then what happens? It's just like in quilting or anything else. You get it wrong. You can't keep up in class or you find the design or fabric doesn't work at home. Quilters take out seam rippers and kids shut down. In quilting we call them: UFO's. Unfinished objects. Quilts that just never get finished. I am proud to say I have 5. I'm thinking about turning them into dog blankets. I actually spent one summer day 2 years ago and ripped an entire back out. It almost was a full size quilt. So now I have the top neatly folded in my closet. And there it sits waiting for me to retire so I can start it again or will I?  187 days left and all we have is punishment tomorrow. I can't stand meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment