Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Contemplating...

As I sit here exhausted from a run to the emergency room  with  my Lily.... (she had a 6 inch twig locked between her molars:  that made her scratch, cough and bleed) the little bugger.  I thought  she was going to die. When they took her from me to have a look - prepare for surgery, I prayed they had the technology to save her.  Now I look at my quilt project to the piece of scrap fabric on the floor and realize how lucky I am to have a comfortable life.   I look around at how simple life really is.  We live in comfort.  Have full bellies:  sometimes too full.   I sit surrounded by textiles.  It took 1000's of years to get from the Stone Age to the Iron Age and another  few thousand to discover the luxury of the "Egyptian Cottons" that created the trade routes and coinage. (before coinage: textiles were used as money)    And, here I sit:  textiles on the floor:  when did we go from sweeping dirt floors to carpeting, Beautiful curtains on the windows, snuggly warm blankets, high thread count towels, textiles in our cars, even my dogs have a nylon collar.  This comfort comes from the textile industry that we all take for granted.  As I begin studying about weaving and the history of the loom:  I came across a similar photo:  How did we get from simple cottons to this:

Image result for space suits

No comments:

Post a Comment