Monday, September 22, 2014

Gallup , New Mexico

100 years ago I was a student taking wildlife classes.  That was before they had "environmental studies"  I wrote my own curriculum.   I received 6 hours of Ind. Studies working at a zoo.  Lo and Behold no zoo would pick me up for volunteer labor because of Insurance Issues.  I found a lovely small zoo on the Navajo Reservation just north of Gallup.  While there a family came in to get Road Runner Pollen.  It took 45 min to catch that bird.  He was fast.  They needed the pollen for a ceremony  in which their son was running in a competition.  We also lost a turtle that summer and the bobcats contracted feline leukemia.  I had just lost Emily to Feline Leukemia and told everyone who would listen that the bobcats were sick.  No one would listen.  The vet finally came and confirmed it.  At that time, it was believed that wild cats could not catch feline leukemia.  Oh how our knowledge has grown.  Body count :  Pismo beach: 8 am: 9 sea otters, 5 whales, 15+ dolphins, 1 seal. I want to move to a tiny, tiny beach house





No comments:

Post a Comment